Friday, January 3, 2014

Use Playonlinux to Run Windows Programs

A few days ago, I received a request to fill out an on-line survey which required me to possess either a PC or MAC.  As some of you may be able to tell from past posts, I currently use Linux Mint 14 and Ubuntu 12.04 in a dual boot situation on my 2008 Toshiba Satellite laptop.  I used to have Windows 7 on my 2009 HP Pavillion netbook but I wiped it out completely with a Linux distro and was unable to re-install Windows 7 with my startup disks.

To resolve my survey dilemma, I installed Playonlinux on Ubuntu 12.04.  What that enabled me to do was create a Windows virtual directory on my Ubuntu partition, which then enabled me to install a browser *.EXE file to run on that partition emulating Windows XP.  I chose the latest Firefox browser version 26.0.  Firefox was compatible with the requirements for the on-line survey so I was able to complete the survey successfully.  Please don't get confused between the words Playonlinux and WINE. Understand that Playonlinux is the front-end user interface which sits on top of the WINE software, which actually emulates Windows.  Here's a tutorial I created which explains how to install Playonlinux and Firefox on the new Windows virtual directory.

No comments:

Post a Comment